COMPULSORY THIRD-PARTY CAR LIABILITY INSURANCE
Who shall contract the compulsory third-party car liability insurance?
Individuals and legal entities holding motor vehicles subjected to registration in the Republic of Moldova are bound to insure such vehicles against third-party car liability for damages produced in the course of car accidents.
Persons coming to the territory of the Republic of Moldova by motor vehicles registered abroad are regarded as insured, subject to fulfilment of one of the following conditions:
- They have contracted the compulsory third-party car liability insurance in the Republic of Moldova
- They have international insurance documents that are effective in the Republic of Moldova
What risks does the compulsory third-party car liability insurance cover?
The compulsory third-party car liability insurance offers protection against potential prejudices caused by the insured to third parties through car accidents in the territory of the Republic of Moldova, more exactly:
– death or bodily injuries
– damage or destruction of some property (including motor vehicles)
What period can the compulsory third-party car liability insurance be contracted for?
An agreement on compulsory third-party car liability insurance is concluded for a 12-month period, except for the cases when motor vehicles are:
– used for seasonal agricultural activities
– registered as having temporary registration numbers
– in other cases specified by law
What documents shall be presented for conclusion of an insurance agreement?
– Identity card or another identity document
– Vehicle registration certificate
– If needed – other documents attesting the right to possess this motor vehicle (power of attorney, rent agreement, leasing agreement, etc.)
Why shall you contract the insurance at GENERAL ASIGURARI Company?
GENERAL ASIGURARI Company does guarantee:
– prompt issue of insurance policies
– payment of compensations within 10 days of the day of presentation of all the documents
What are the limits of liability of GENERAL ASIGURARI Company?
– 1,000,000 lei – in case of property damage or destruction, regardless of the number of persons damaged in an accident
– 1,000,000 lei – per damaged person in case of bodily injuries or death, however, not more than 5,000,000 lei, regardless of the number of persons damaged in an accident
When a car accident is produced, the insured or vehicle user shall be bound:
- To take every possible actions to diminish the damages caused
- To inform the police authorities or other law-enforcement authorities about the car accident immediately after occurrence thereof and to claim for drafting the documents related to the causes, circumstances and consequences of the car accident
- To notify the Insurance Company GENERAL ASIGURARI JSC within 48 hours after accident occurrence, regardless of the results of establishment of a guilty person; not to undertake all by themselves any measures for damage repair
- To notify parties to the accident, damaged person or their relatives about possession of the insurance policy and to provide them with necessary information about GENERAL ASIGURARI JSC.
REMARK: The basic insurance premium and correction factor of the internal and external compulsory third-party car liability insurance is set by the National Commission for Financial Markets and is approved by Government Ordinance no.318 of 17 March 2008 on Approval of the Methodology of Calculation of Basic Insurance Premium and Correction Factors for the Compulsory Third-Party Car Liability Insurance against Damages Caused by Motor Vehicles (Official Monitor of the Republic of Moldova no.25-30 of 29 December 2015).
Car Insurance Department,
Telephone: (0-22) 78-38-02, 78-38-03, 78-38-04